Friday, February 8, 2008

can't stop, won't stop.

Chk..Chec...Checckk, one..two...three....aight, I might not get a master degree in hiphop philosophy or anything like that. But there's one thing about hiphop that makes me can not and will not ever stop listening to the beat, the rhyme and the feel. I know for some of you, hiphop might just feel like a pointless shouts of words that sound pretty much the same, but to me it's a totally different thing you know. Hiphop might be dead by now, but the fresh air keeps breathing throughout the years. At the first time, I used to not liking hiphop this much and began to have doubts over such thing as "rap/hiphop/black music", but in the past two and three years behind, I felt like I should admit how black music really has, it has somekind of something that others don't. Yeah, I'm speaking about the cultural aspect and the social aspect behind the movement they called "hiphop". Hiphop is and was being used as tools of fighting racism, police brutality and keeping up with life. I'd say hiphop has the same weight as far as what hardcore/punk does to preserve the word "old skool mentality". Issues like relationships, socio-political views, anti-fascism, anti-racism, or even simpler things like getting up everyday. Yeah, that's what I find interesting about hiphop and beyond, not just the beats that keep our feet stomping, but more than that, the history behind all of this that stands out so loud in my ear.

"don't sweat the techniques" - Rakeem.

1 comment:

xachachichux said...

Wohoo. living straight edge hopping for joy!